August 06, 2026

Summertime Tea al Fresco

Hello! I wanted to share with you a special tea on an overcast — almost ready to rain — day. There is something inherently relaxing about brewing a favorite tea, adding something sweet or savory, and spending quiet time in a lovely setting. 
 
For today's tea, I've chosen loose tea and tinned biscuits that my husband brought me from London, and set a tea table on the deck overlooking the backyard. I set the table for only one, but I won't be alone for tea — 
 
     
For I'm joined for tea by my daughter who has set her own table on her patio in New Mexico! While my table is set in the shade of oak and hickory trees, hers is set in the sunshine. We will enjoy tea together with a little help from FaceTime!
 

I love the tea cup that features a gorgeous shade of turquoise with delicately painted white and pink flowers. On the tea pot the lovely blossoms gracefully cascade over the sides. The gold-accented trim glimmers against both the turquoise and white. A cotton napkin repeats the turquoise in a more intense shade.
 
     
My daughter is using a summery tea set that features bees, honeycombs and wildflowers. Her set is also trimmed in gold, which really shines in the sunlight. I love the repeating pattern of the honeycomb and the wild abandon of the flowers. She also received a tin of the same loose tea from London. We had not planned to brew the same tea!
 

The tea we're both using is Royal Blend by Fortnum & Mason in a pretty turquoise green tin. Royal Blend is a classic black tea, blending Pekoe with the maltier Assam for a smooth, honey-like flavor since 1902. I went with sweet treats today, pairing a handful of fresh fruits with yummy strawberry and white chocolate biscuits from Cartwright & Butler. (I love their lavender container!)
 
       
To go with her Royal Blend, my daughter made chocolate chip cookies. I can attest to how delicious they are!
 

The table is set in the corner of the deck where it is shaded most of the day under the arching branches of a hickory. Through the railing you can see the pergola and swing and have a glimpse of the koi pond. For some reason, most of the flowering annuals I planted on the deck and on the two flagstone patios are not flowering, nor even budding. But they are growing robustly.
 
     
Although part of my daughter's patio is covered, she chose to set her tea table next to one of her lounge chairs which face her kiva fireplace. Her black, white and gold china contrast beautifully with the striped red cushions and the creamy stucco. Her backyard is enclosed by walls which is a common way to define property lines in cities in New Mexico.
 

In front of my tea tin is a stainless-steel ball infuser that I bought several months ago. It's sized for 1-2 cups of tea and readily replaces the much larger vintage acorn-style aluminum one I've used for many years.
 
      
My daughter had originally set her tea things on the fireplace ledge that becomes a sitting wall, but decided it was definitely not as comfy. I love the pottery lizard and squirrel that joined the party!
 

This was so enjoyable that I'd like to do it again soon!
 
      
While my daughter wants to wait until things cool down a bit!! 
 

In either case it's been a fun way to share a jointly-loved tradition, a way to shrink the distance until my next trip out there.
 
Thanks for joining us today for a summertime tea al fresco!

 
A variety of tea tables you might want to visit for inspiration can be found at Tea and Cinnamon ToastTea with BirdsongTea and Muffins on the Bistro Table or Tea and Chocolate on a Winter's Day.       
 
         

1 comment:

  1. Facetime is a wonderful thing, to stay in touch, share and enjoy a cup of tea together, despite miles apart.
    Visiting from Thursday favorite Things
    My shares: #8+9+10
    We now have two Linkies: SSPS and TFT at https://esmesalon.com/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate your thoughtful comments and I enjoy reading every one. Comments may be moderated so it may be a short time until they're posted. Your email address will not be published.