Hello, friends! I thought I'd share with you some wonderful treasures I picked up from the 48th Collectible Glass Show, held annually in Marietta, GA. I try not to go to it with any particular type of object in mind, since the show spans glassware produced from 1900 through the 1980s, and ranges from pure artistry through dining and utilitarian pieces. For variety, some booths offer porcelain, pottery and table linens from the period as well.
In no particular order:
These are awesome examples of 'swung glass' art pieces. Swung glass is a style of mid-century art glass made by pressing hot glass into a mold, reheating it, and literally swinging it like a pendulum to stretch and elongate the neck. This centrifugal force creates a fluid, organic, and one-of-a-kind shape most famously crafted into tall vases.
Greg has become a collector of sorts, and will be adding these to his company's office. He's taken by their colors and their height: the blue 'vase' is 22.25 inches, the orange one is 16.5 inches. They will be striking additions to the red one in the lobby which I believe may be even taller!
The orange is L E Smith 'Amberina'; the blue is Viking glass with 'drape'. Each base is equally unique.
I thought this L E Smith turkey candy dish in a lovely shade of amber would be perfect when hosting fall dinners. Luckily my daughter agrees — for this is on the way to her!
First introduced around 1943, the pressed-glass lidded container measures 7.5 inches high, 6.5 inches long, and 5.5 inches wide. It's not terribly large, but the bowl is deep and could hold a number of wrapped candy pieces, or anything else.
Not quite 5 inches, these pretty glasses are a popular mid-century glassware pattern produced by the Jeannette Glass Company during the 1940s and 1950s. They are decorated with white decals and were trimmed in gold, faint remnants of which can be seen on the rims. I considered them juice glasses when I bought them, but they were made as tumblers, with juice glasses coming in 1.5 inches shorter.
The flower themselves are still crisp. I envision them on spring or summer tables. There they will complement my other Jeannette glasses that I use as juice/water glasses, as seen in Setting the Table for a November Birthday.
I also picked up this lovely Bordallo Pinheiro ceramic vase, covered entirely by ivy leaves. This is currently sitting in my glass-fronted cabinet in the kitchen where I display ever-changing vignettes by the season or holiday. It easily spans summer to fall — or spring as well. I think the shade of green is too bright to fit in with winter decor.
Although you can't tell by this photo, the vase goes well with the vintage candlesticks I've had for about eleven years and which you've seen on quite a few tables, such as Enchanting Shamrock Decor and Daffodils Create a Charming March Table.
Another beautiful piece for fall tables is this variation of an oval serving dish with rounded sides and squared ends, measuring 11.5 x 5 inches at its widest. I love dinnerware in amber shades and this is in like-new condition. I believe it was made by Indiana glass in the fifties or sixties, but I don't recall exactly what the dealer said.
The sculpted edges are a lovely counterpoint to its sleek lines.
This is another outstanding example of Mid-Century Modern art glass in a distinct freeform, pulled and elongated 'wing' bowl shape. Often described as a centerpiece console bowl, a flower frog inserted in the bowl would allow you to arrange flowers and greenery. It was crafted by Tiffin from dichroic neodymium glass; they named the color 'twilight' or sometimes 'alexandrite'. In different light sources it shifts from this lavender-pink to ice blue.
This close-up shows the complexity of the pulled glass where the 'handles' meet the bowl.
I was drawn to amber glassware at this show, and also purchased these salad plates produced in the 1960s by either Indiana Glass in the King's Crown Thumbprint pattern or by Colony in the Color Crown Amber (Dark) pattern.
Thumbprint patterns were wildly popular and produced by several glass companies. These are dark amber in color rather than yellow. You've probably run across clear glass versions with red thumbprints. In any case, they could be autumn workhorses, adding a punch of color to match autumnal hues.
Last, but my favorite, are these gorgeous Morgantown 'Monroe Red' cocktail glasses! This elegant glass pattern featuring ruby red bowls and curvy vertically ribbed clear stems surmounted by wafers was produced only in the 1930s by the Morgantown Glass Company.
I love the precision details that would be comfortably at home on contemporary tables.
I'm so glad you had a chance to see the beautifully charming pieces we recently acquired. I encourage you to seek out similar glass shows or antique/vintage/thrift stores near you to explore the world of vintage glassware.
Stay tuned for future posts featuring these lovely treasures!
Treasures from previous glass hunting trips can be found in these posts: The Thrill of Finding Beautiful Glassware and Vintage Glass: All the Colors of the Rainbow.
%20Swung%20vases%20in%20orange%20and%20blue.jpg)
%20close-up%20of%20necks%20on%20swung%20vases.jpg)
%20pedestal%20bases%20of%20glass%20vases.jpg)
%20covered%20turkey%20candy%20dish.jpg)
%20two-piece%20amber%20candy%20dish.jpg)
%20seven%20painted%20juice%20glasses.jpg)
%20lily-of-the-valley%20juice%20glass.jpg)
%20ivy%20covered%20ceramic%20vase.jpg)
%20ivy%20vase%20with%20columnar%20candlesticks.jpg)
%20amber%20oval%20relish%20tray.jpg)
%20details%20of%20amber%20relish%20dish.jpg)
%20lavender%20abstract%20glass%20sculpture.jpg)
%20details%20of%20sculptural%20curve.jpg)
%20amber%20salad%20plates.jpg)
%20close-up%20of%20salad%20plate%20details.jpg)
%20six%20red-bowl%20stems.jpg)
%20close-up%20of%20stemware.jpg)
%20Vintage%20Treasures.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting! I appreciate your thoughtful comments and I enjoy reading every one. Comments may be moderated so it may be a short time until they're posted. Your email address will not be published.