September 14, 2026

A Mediterranean Table for Early Fall

There's a hint of fall in the air! Though summer weather and summer flowers will be with us for another month or more, autumn is definitely in sight. And so I've set a casual table for these no-longer-summer but not-yet-really-fall days that introduces some of the colorways we anticipate seeing in the next few weeks. There will be greens of course, but moodier than those of spring or summer. 
  

Mediterranean-infused dinnerware patterns, colors and textures offer an organic transition between seasons. Salad plates reminiscent of Italian designs seemed to be the perfect choice with their vibrant scrolling vines and flowers. Underneath them I placed blue majolica dinner plates from Portugal that have repeating leaves.
 

Bold ceramic coasters found in Spain reflect Moorish tile designs like those in Granada, while the intricately hand-painted pottery candlesticks from Mexico are based on Spanish motifs.
 
   
Golden yellow sunflowers are an intense contrast to the soft greens of hydrangeas, while butterscotch yellows color the salad plates.
 
 
Forming part of the centerpiece is a lovely biscotti jar that friends gave me in the spring. I have been waiting for the right table to showcase its striking design (though the biscotti inside were promptly eaten lol!).
   

I found the coasters in a small pottery shop in Granada. I loved the detailed designs and rich colors, and since I couldn't choose between them I bought two of each!  
    

 

To ensure you can see the design of the coasters, I used clear undecorated wine glasses that are made of crystalline (lead-free crystal glass). I've used these often because their simple lines go well with all types of dishware and table linens.
   

The pottery vase carries the blue of the plates above the table, as do the two candlesticks, this time in navy. I love their contrasting shapes.

Biscotti are Italian biscuits which are twice-baked, oblong-shaped, dry, and crunchy. In Italy, they are known as cantucci, biscotti di Prato or biscotti etruschi and may be dipped in a drink, traditionally a sweet dessert wine, but also in coffee or tea.
 
     
I love the mix of flowing, organic designs and repeated abstract patterns on the table. I also love the effect of pairing crystal and ceramic tablewares with melamine (the salad plates — did you guess?).
 
And I think the linen napkins capture the color of the Mediterranean Sea! 
 
  
Thank you for joining me in an exploration of Mediterranean style!
 


Table details
Dinner plates | Bordallo Pinheiro 'Basketweave', used in A Garden Table and The French Table               
Wine glasses | Waterford Marquis 'Moments', used in Easing Into Fall
Flatware | Mikasa 'Italian Countryside'

* Table details are provided for identification/information only. Dinner at Eight does not receive any type of compensation.   
   
    
    
    
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate your thoughtful comments and I enjoy reading every one. Comments may be moderated so it may be a short time until they're posted. Your email address will not be published.